Thursday, May 22, 2008

Viva Brazil!


When I was in Bible College, there was a missionary kid/student from Brazil who was also cook in the cafeteria. When he would watch soccer games he would shout, “Viva Brazil!!!” in the hallways. This is my attempt to reproduce a meal that he would prepare.

Ingredients:

Rice

1 and ½ lb. ground beef or turkey

1 can diced tomatoes

1 package C&W Ultimate Southwest Blend 14oz (frozen veggie)

1 can refried beans (I like to use black bean)

Yogurt or sour cream for garnish (about a cup)

Cheese for garnish (about a cup)

Salsa

Cilantro or green onion for garnish

Mexican seasoning blend- to taste

Ground cumin- to taste

Cayenne pepper- to taste

Hot and Spicy Hawaiian Rock Salt- to taste (you could substitute regular salt and chili pepper flakes)

Instructions:

  1. Prepare enough rice for 4 people. I usually boil 4 cups of water to 2 cups of rice for my family.
  2. While rice is cooking, brown meat.
  3. When meat is brown add seasonings. Add diced tomatoes and simmer for about 10 min.
  4. Heat frozen veggie according to instructions on packet. I also add some Mexican seasoning
  5. Heat refried beans
  6. Layer each plate with rice, meat, veggies, cheese, salsa, yogurt, green onion, and some refried beans on the side. Serve right away while hot!

Serves 4

1 comment:

Claudia said...

Yeah, Brazil. That sounds and looks so yummy. I wish I hadn't just eaten lunch or I'd make it like RIGHT NOW.